Friday, March 4, 2011

Homeschool Reflections~


question #3

traditional?
relaxed?
mixed?


Charlotte Mason?
classical?
unschooling?

What is your style?

I started out traditional. I copied the classroom setting. Abeka was given to us, and for boxed curriculum, I thought it was great.

I am a classic extrovert. Outgoing, talkative, friendly, love people!

I especially enjoy sports for the kids. Getting to know my children's friends, and chatting with other parents has always been a highlight of many soccer seasons.


Our 4th year of home-
school, many things were going on. We had 4 children, one on the way, 2 being homeschooled, ran a full time daycare of 6 additional kids. Routines, activities, and outings were constant.... I had quite the busy days! At soccer that years (Nick's midschool years) a new homeschool kid joined the team. Yay! Another homeschooler (these things are rare ya know). He was a quiet kid, but friendly, enjoyed soccer... and Nick had fun playing soccer with him. For a while, a long while, I never noticed this kid's parents.....



I think the following year I finally "met" the dad. He had introduced himself to me with a thought of getting the boys together more often (than just soccer season) to hang out. Hmmm....great idea. It didn't happen for awhile.

One day at a the end of another soccer season, I was chatting and visiting and cheering and laughing and enjoying the game...

and a sweet mama was sitting up on the bleachers, quietly tucked away in a corner with her young son. She was engaged in conversation about animals, pausing to let her son share his own thoughts. Her countenance was lovely, her words intelligent, her demeanor pleasant. ...and I paused long enough to be in awe...


In the midst of my friendly, outgoing self...

I had never met this mom.
How long had I overlooked her?
Who was she?

She was clearly a quiet person;
quite opposite me! ;^)

My life was full of go, go, go....
and she oozed calmness, peace, a gentle spirit.


Her son was Nick, the other Nick, the other homeschooler on the team. By now (a couple of years into this) Nick and my Nick were becoming good friends.


Finally, another summer into this story, us parents finally got together to get to know each other. They are a lovely family...

Nick and Nick are still good friends...

even though we moved away 2 yrs ago.

and I still adore his mom...


So... what is the point of this story?

This ordinary mom taught me a life lesson...
simply by her actions. Just by "being her"...

It does not matter what we teach our kids, how we teach them... there is no wrong way to homeschool (other than just not doing it)... but what does really make a difference is who we are....

Who we are when nobody is looking.

How we behave towards our children... now that matters.

To slow down...
to exhale...
to listen...
to share...
to pray...
to display gentleness....
to let them know they matter...
to embrace their personhood
to notice the small simple moments that seem to whisper by...


Thank you Tonia! I think you are beautifully authentic!

*pictures above*
Today we had multiple meltdowns in our home, so I gathered my little clan together, and we explored the outdoors.

We paused long enough
to hear the many birds in our area;
observe ducks, geese, and squirrels;
explore a nature path;
and appreciate fresh air.

What is our homeschool style?

to educate by whatever means are neccessary,
all the while nurturing, guiding, and mentoring our children into adulthood.

3 comments:

Laurel said...

Our homeschooling style ... changes with the seasons (seasons of the year, and seasons of life).

After 20+ years of teaching my children at home, I think we've just about done it every way possible. Every year is different. Every child is different. Some years we can afford lost of great curriculum and stuff. Other years we focus on literature, and ALL that we can learn by reading "real life books" (not curriculums, not fiction).

I, too, focus on relationships ... my relationship with each child and their relationships with each other. HOmeschooling is about so much more than the "curriculum", it's about LIFE learning, it's about BEING family.

Hope your weekend is BLESSED!

Laurel :)

PS: Would love to have you all come for a visit. Just let me know when. Another part of our homeschooling style is FLEXIBILITY and FRIENDSHIPS ... both very important.

tonia said...

oh my goodness, Sheri.

(((YOU)))

And this is what *I* saw: your incredible smile, your warmth, your gracious acceptance of every person, your laughter and ease with all the kids, your tenderness towards hurt and your boldness towards sin. Your easy-going ways are a BLESSING and you minister every. where. you. go.

I can't wait to have you guys closer again. :)

You are fabulous exactly the way you are.

Anonymous said...

I love the last statement you made. Oh, how true. Thanks for sharing.